It’s that time of year again, the weeds are overtaking yards! In Festival Ranch we seem to get hit a little worse than those in town. We’re surrounded by the desert and the wind really picks up some days. It brings in the seedlings right into your granite and with the first sign of moisture *POOF* – now you’re battling weeds.
That being said, pre-emergent can prevent these. Pre-emergent will keep these seedlings from ever growing. The trick is that you must apply the pre-emergent every 6 months. If you wait longer, it can be like starting all over. You’ll need to treat with a post-emergent until you get the weeds under control again.
- It is a water based herbicide that when broadcast on your lawn or granite stops seeds from germinating.
- Temporarily. The color is called an indicator and allows the applicator and client to know what has been sprayed and what hasn’t. Unfortunately the color is built into the material at the factory and we don’t get a choice in the matter. It fades away with sunlight in a few days.
- If you haven’t had pre-emergent applied within the last six months, then now is the time to do it! We are working in our landscapes year round and can attest that weeds grow every month of the year. The important part of the service is not to wait until you have a weed infestation. Apply pre-emergent BEFORE the weeds germinate and then continue to apply it every 6 months to keep the weeds under control. If weeds have germinated and started to grow, then a post-emergent will be necessary to help eliminate the existing weeds in addition to preventing new ones from growing.
- YES. In fact it’s not only good, it’s great! The pre-emergent must be watered in for it to be effective, this is included in the application process.
- We will water in the application of pre-emergent during or immediately after it has been applied.
- Pre-emergent herbicides applications are for WEED CONTROL, not total weed eradication. Often weed seeds have already germinated at the time a pre-emergent is completed. A post-emergent would be necessary to kill existing weeds.
- We wish we could say that you’d never see another weed, however this is an imperfect science and that is exactly why we offer a guarantee. We can treat two identical properties side by side and one will have a weed problem and the other will be pristine. With regular maintenance services, any small amount of weeds that may erupt can be taken care of immediately. Or if you notice an area that needs further attention simply let us know and we’ll be right out to take care of it immediately!
- Most homeowners never want to see a weed, so that’s why we do an application every 6 months. Since the material does not last 12 months we do not recommend an application only once a year.
- According to the manufacturers label, the pre-emergent can last from 6 – 8 months with an 80-90% success rate.
- With a single application we guarantee the weed control for 13 weeks.
- We do offer bi-annual contracts which cover 2 applications – Spring and Fall – and are guaranteed for 26 weeks per application. This means you’re covered for the entire year!
- Our guarantee means that we will treat any weeds during the warranty period that appear with post-emergent herbicide and reapplication of pre-emergent in problem areas as needed.
- Post-emergents (herbicides) are used to kill existing weeds. It is a solution that is absorbed into the leaves, stems, and eventually the roots of the plant to kill it.
- No. The color fades away with sunlight.
- We must ensure that we are not spraying plants or other foliage unintentionally. Since we are very conscience of where we spray and only want to get the pre and post-emergent on the area we intend, we would never spray on a windy day.
- The manufacturers clearly state the application is safe to humans and pets once it is dry. We recommend that pets and children be kept off the treated area until the chemicals are dry. This will vary depending on the season.